Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Not a Mystery

Yesterday, I had dinner at the new location of the Flying Burrito which happens to be near my place. The restaurant recently moved from its original location in Chapel Hill into the empty location that was vacated last year by Lynnwood Grill. There is some hope around the neighborhood that this new place will recapture the atmosphere of the old Lynnwood Grill before it moved across the street into its fancy new digs.

This was actually my second trip to the Flying Burrito. My first was on a Saturday for lunch, and I enjoyed their flagship entree, the Flying Burrito. My second visit started at the bar. I asked the bartender about their specials, and she informed me that they had mystery beers for a dollar. Those of you that are familiar with my Twitter posts know that I enjoy mystery beers. There is usually a big drum filled with ice and random bottles of beer. My understanding is that the mystery beers are bottles which the distributor is looking to get rid of. They could be from a broken case or seasonal brews that are out of season, a Christmas ale or a winter warmer in the heat of summer for instance. In this case, the one-dollar mystery beer was a Budweiser. As I posted on Twitter, I had the least mysterious mystery beer in history. It might just be me, but a Bud just does not live up to my expectation of a mystery beer.

For food during this occasion, I ordered their shrimp burrito which came smothered in buffalo sauce. The buffalo sauce was also not mysterious since it seemed to be Texas Pete. Discounting the tortilla, rice and black beans, I essentially had grilled shrimp covered in Texas Pete along with a bottle of Bud to wash it down. The whole experience seemed to be more Southern than Southwestern.

My two trips to the Flying Burrito had one thing in common, and that was very good service which bordered on annoying. Unfortunately, this good service seemed to be primarily due to the lack of customers in the place. Granted, I visited on a Saturday afternoon past the primary time for lunch and on a Monday evening. Hopefully, that is not a sign of things to come for this place. Soon, I hope to try the place some weekend evening. Perhaps, it does have the spark of the old Lynnwood.

1 comment:

  1. If the mystery beer had been Old Milwaukee's you could have considered that a nanny and papa special.

    ReplyDelete