Saturday, February 6, 2010

That's Just Brilliant (-er)

I am currently working on my tax returns. Or avoiding working on my tax returns by typing this post. I have always done my taxes myself, no CPA or tax prep software. In the past, I have always used the old-fashioned pen-and-paper method, although this year I am looking into e-filing using free online forms.

Last year, my company sent out two copies of our 2008 W-2s. When I received my W-2s in mid-January this year instead of early February as usual, I just assumed the company was on the ball. I got an early start on my taxes a few weekends ago, but since I didn't have all the info, I put it aside to finish up later. When I received another set of W-2s in the mail, I didn't think any of it since we'd seen that show before. Only later did I noticed that the first set of W-2s that I had received weren't for 2009, but were yet another copy of my 2008 W-2s. Yes, I had started working on my 2009 returns using 2008 W-2s. Needless to say, I have now started over using my 2009 W-2s.

1 comment:

  1. Annoying! I do our taxes, using one of those programs. After having FIL do them and cause us to pay, I figured I'd rather do them and only be mad at myself if something doesn't work out rather than harboring resentment towards family members.

    ReplyDelete