Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Six Pack

In sports news, NFL owners voted today to change the overtime format starting next season. However, only playoff games will be affected by the change. Regular season games will continue to use the current sudden-death overtime format. I assume preseason games would also maintain the current format, but I'm not even sure OT is even used in the preseason. The games don't count, so why bother with extra meaningless time? Anyway, the particular change for playoff games is similar to one that I discussed in a post last month. If the team winning the overtime coin flip drives down the field and then kicks a field goal on their opening possession, they will not automatically win the game. Instead, the opposing team will get an offensive possession. If the other team also kicks a field goal or if the first team does not score, the format reverts back to sudden dead. A defensive or special team score (either a return touchdown or a safety) would win the game outright. I suppose one gotcha would be if the opening kickoff was muffed or fumbled, and the recovering team then kicked a field goal. Since the receiving team may not be considered to have had an offensive possession, would they then receive another kickoff?

Let's move on another favorite topic of mine, beer. In another previous post, I mentioned that I tend to receive beer and beer-related items for gifts. Although I did exaggerate in regards to El and her family's gift-giving habits for me, I think it worked for the post. Anyway, El recently gave me a gift of a six-pack of various beers from our favorite local wine and beer store. This was a few weeks ago, and I back then had this great idea to write a post about each of the beers. Unfortunately, I'm currently drinking the fifth of the six bottles, and I have yet to post about any of the previous four. However, I remember to include them on the Beer List. The four previous beers were

  • Brother Thelonious, a Belgian-style abbey ale from North Coast Brewing Company in California
  • Éphémère, an apple-favored ale from Unibroue in Canada
  • Rare Vos, an amber ale by Brewery Ommegang in New York
The beer tonight is Delirium Tremens which is a Belgian strong pale ale by Brouwerij Huyghe in Belgium. Delirium is a fruity beer as Belgian ales tend to be, and at 8.5% ABV (alcohol by volume), it is the strongest of the bunch. As with the others, I found it to be a great tasting beer that is very drinkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment