Sunday, June 20, 2010

Double Down

Quick executive summary of this post: Double IPAs are extra hoppy as expected.

For those of you still with me, the topic for today's post is Double India Pale Ales (also know as Imperial IPAs). Double IPAs are basically IPAs on steroids. My previous experience with one of these extra hefty IPAs was Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA which I thought was super-extra hoppy as expected. Yesterday, we stopped by our favorite watering hole which had not one but two double IPAs among the ten brews on tap.

I first tried the Mojo Risin' Double IPA from Boulder Beer Company. The company's webpage describes Mojo Risin' as "a souped-up, extreme version Mojo IPA." I have previously tried Boulder's regular Mojo IPA. As promised, Mojo Risin' is the big brother of the Mojo IPA. It is very hoppy and has extra alcohol content with a 10% ABV. It still very drinkable, although I wouldn't suggest drinking too many at one time.

My second DIPA was Hercules Double IPA from Great Divide Brewing Company. Great Divide is another Colorado-based brewery located in Denver. Hercules is a high-gravity beer with an ABV of 10% which is the same as Mojo Risin'. As expected, Hercules is extra-super hoppy. Despite the extra hoppiness and the high alcohol content, I enjoyed both beers. Perhaps, I am finally learning to enjoy big hoppy beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment